People who practice gratitude have more positive emotions. Gratitude teaches us to appreciate the value of people, places, food, and even materialistic things. We are less likely to take things for granted. People who have high levels of gratitude have low levels of resentment and envy. This is because you cannot feel envious and grateful at the same time. Those whom are grateful for what they have, can’t resent someone else for having something that they do not. They are both different ways of relating to the world. Keeping a gratitude journal can help bring out these positive feelings. Each day write down three to five things that you are grateful for. Examples may include simple things in life or something more specific. Please feel free to review the below.
Broad Gratitude Affirmations:
- Thank you for this new day
- I’m filled with happiness and gratitude
- I’m grateful for another chance to live my life
- I’m thankful simply for being alive
- I’m grateful for who I am and for what I have
- Today I will have an attitude of gratitude
- Thank you for the blessings this day will bring
Specific Gratitude Affirmations: Listed below are things that I am grateful for that happened to me lately to show examples. Your own affirmations can seriously be anything and as simple as a cup of coffee, but make sure that they are detailed and specific. Why are you grateful for your cup of coffee? How does it taste? How does it make you feel? How does this cup of coffee add value to your life?
- I am grateful for my sister, Sarah Bonner, in that she made me a delicious dinner last night. We got to indulge in a juicy steak, mashed potatoes, and string beans. She added delicious condiments that complimented the meal so well.
- I am grateful for my dog Koby, in that he lights up life. He is a ball of joy and I enjoy spending time with him.
- I am grateful for my best friend Dakota for paying for everyone’s meal two nights ago at Buffalo Wild Wings. I ordered chicken wings and a margarita on the rocks with salt. It truly was the best margarita of my life!