Yoga is one of the best forms of exercise, as it has a lot of benefits towards not only a healthy body, but a peaceful mind. This article will give you five tips to help you get started with your practice.
- Invest in a good yoga mat- A yoga mat is more than just an area where you practice your yoga routines. Some consider it their peaceful place where our minds can be free from the stress of our daily lives. The floor is not comfortable at all and a mat will be resourceful for you.
- Don’t be intimidated- At a first glance, yoga can seem complicated. It is easy to think that you will never be able to do it, but you’re wrong. So what if you can’t touch your toes? Practicing will help increase your flexibility. Can’t still your mind? Neither can I. Most of us can’t. Our job is simply to practice quieting and questioning our thoughts. This is why it is called a ‘practice.’
- Focus on your breath and poses- Focusing on your poses will help improve your practice. Noticing which foot you have a tendency of leaning upon while standing or which hand you are most likely using all of the time will help you understand what you have to fix in each pose. These might be small things, but they will improve your Asanas once you get used to them.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions or take breaks- Asking questions can help you become better at your practice. Starting yoga can be overwhelming. You may feel awkward through unfamiliar shapes with teachers literally speaking a different language (Sanskrit) This means that it is easy to feel lost. Once you get through the initial confusion the practice will fall into place more quickly.
- Push yourself to do at least 10 classes before giving up- While all yoga may look similar on the surface, they are not all the same. You may not like every single type of yoga or every teacher, but the most important step is not to give up. Finding the right style of yoga for you might be the key to loving and sticking with the practice.