Drinking plenty of water will improve your immune system. Our bodies have 50% to 65% of water content and it is recommended that we drink six to eight glasses of water per day. This will help us perform our best, stay hydrated, and give us energy. Drinking the recommended amount of water can also aid in weight loss. Listed are 9 benefits of staying hydrated!
- Preventing and relieving headaches- Chronic dehydration is a common cause of tension headaches and migraines. Water can relieve these headache symptoms within 30 MINUTES to 3 HOURS. WOW!!!! Fatigue is also a side effect of dehydration. If fatigue is the reason for the headache, drink WATER. SOLVED.
- Increasing blood flow and oxygen to your brain. Drinking water boost’s your brain’s oxygenation and hydration. Another way to increase blood flow to the brain is physical exercise. Yoga, running, or even walking can help. FUN FACT: Your brain is 75% water. If your brain is hydrated properly, than it can function properly. Not only will your brain function properly, but it will also aid in concentration.
- Improving concentration and cognition. Coffee or tea can also help in concentration, but you simply shouldn’t drink these options throughout the day. Having even a sip or more of water every 45 minutes will keep your brain focused, as well as improve your mood and emotions, which leads us to BENEFIT FOUR!
- Helping to balance your mood and emotions.
“The study tracked changes in people’s mood when they went from either a restricted intake of water (1 Liter/day) to a high water intake (2.5 Liters/day) or vice versa. For a frame of reference, 1 Liter is about 4 ¼ cups and 2.5 Liters is about 10 ½ cups.
When participants went from a time of restricted intake (1 Liter) to elevated water intake (2.5 Liters), they experienced significantly less fatigue and sleepiness with improved brain power (less confusion). On the flip side, when participants went from a high water intake to a restricted intake, participants experienced a drop in “vigor”, contentedness, ability to stay calm and overall positive feelings.”
5. Helps maintain the balance of body fluids. Our bodies are composed of 60% water. The functions of these fluids include digestion, absorption, circulation, creation of saliva, transportation of nutrients, and maintenance of body temperature.
6. Helps carry nutrients throughout our cells. Water allows these nutrients pass through capillaries to the blood and circulatory system. This is where valuable nutrients and oxygen can be distributed throughout the body to all the cells and organs. Water plays a key role in the prevention of disease.
7. Keeps skin looking clear. Water helps prevent dryness and makes skin looking soft and smooth. Makes wrinkles look smaller.
8. Helps maximize physical performance. If we do not stay hydrated, physical performance may suffer. The body loses water during exercise, so you will need to replace that water or face the effects of dehydration.
9. Significantly affects energy levels and brain function. As I stated previously, dehydration causes fatigue, making you feel tired, sluggish, and irritable.
Keeping your body hydrated has TONS of benefits and can not only increase your energy levels, but also help maximize physical performance, balance your mood and emotions, and prevent headaches. Do you want to feel refreshed …. and happier?!?! DRINK WATER!!!